Graflex camera (and flash) on Antiques Roadshow

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
At 14:08...

Antiques Roadshow | PBS

Of course I immediately perked up when I saw what he had. I was wondering which direction it was going to go - would he gloss over the subject of the flash, or would it be the focus instead. :lol:

Quite a nice example.

Antiques Roadshow Graflex.jpg

Yea, I saw this. Beautiful piece!

I was a little sad to see them say the camera was nearly worthless and the flash was worth hundreds. The market has changed and seeing it on AR was a little shocking.

Yep I am picking a vintage Graflex flash just like this from a buddy of mine it is complete can't wait to get it this will make 3 that I will have just building them is the next thing I sure miss Shameem he just vanished with out a trace anyone know what happened to him

Yep I am picking a vintage Graflex flash just like this from a buddy of mine it is complete can't wait to get it this will make 3 that I will have just building them is the next thing I sure miss Shameem he just vanished with out a trace anyone know what happened to him

He's still around, and pops up from time to time.

It seems like he just re-evaluated what he wanted to do with his life, the direction it was going, and what he wanted to do with his spare time.

I'm sure the whole YouTube fiasco had a lot to do with it. What a shame. His channel was one of my favorite subscriptions. His energy was infectious.

I was actually the appraiser for this spot. I've been on the show for over a decade, and I've been dying for someone to bring in a flash handle for years... and not know what it was. I've had a few folks come by the table with Graflexes, and invariably, they always knew what it was, which was kinda surprising!

The Speed Graphic camera in this case had mechanical issues, and was not in the best of shape. It had obviously been a well used camera, and, while it could be refurbished, it was not really a collectible one. Even so, the market on press cameras has been in a death spiral, and only in the past couple of years have they started to pick up again. Even the better Speed Graphics with good lenses and accessories have a hard time breaking $500. It's kinda a shame, but it does make good cameras accessible to new users and collectors.

I do have to give a shout out to SethS and his amazing lightsaber guide. The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook has been hugely helpful over the years.

Best,
James

I was actually the appraiser for this spot. I've been on the show for over a decade, and I've been dying for someone to bring in a flash handle for years... and not know what it was. I've had a few folks come by the table with Graflexes, and invariably, they always knew what it was, which was kinda surprising!

The Speed Graphic camera in this case had mechanical issues, and was not in the best of shape. It had obviously been a well used camera, and, while it could be refurbished, it was not really a collectible one. Even so, the market on press cameras has been in a death spiral, and only in the past couple of years have they started to pick up again. Even the better Speed Graphics with good lenses and accessories have a hard time breaking $500. It's kinda a shame, but it does make good cameras accessible to new users and collectors.

I do have to give a shout out to SethS and his amazing lightsaber guide. The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook has been hugely helpful over the years.

Best,
James
Wow, a Roadshow appraiser among us! I've been a fan of the show for years and this particular segment was a nice surprise and fun to see. Many thanks to you and your fellow appraisers. (y)

As luck would have it, there will be some more Star Wars stuff on tonight's Antiques Roadshow, as well as one of my "Holy Grails"! It's AN Ark of the Covenant, and while not THE Ark, it's the next best thing. The Star Wars stuff was inside it... I'll be able to do more updates after it airs!

James

20190513_154545.jpg
20190513_165543.jpg
20190513_170547.jpg

The AT-AT's were the best part. I'm 99% sure the small AT-AT is from a forced perspective shot from ESB, but I haven't tried to match it yet. It has a crazy amount of detail. The prototype head is pretty amazing as well!
20190513_170546.jpg
20190513_171051.jpg

Attachments

• 20190513_095115.jpg
    20190513_095115.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
This is pretty remarkable stuff, I'm floored.

Its a window into how ILM created all this - I almost recognize some of the bits and bobs on the death star panels, thank you for sharing!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back